Severe budget cuts, the end of earmarked funding and a significant decrease in government funding opportunities have made effective legislative, regulatory and policy advocacy critical for those competing for resources.
As public and private entities attempt to operate in this new environment, Best Best & Krieger LLP is helping them navigate the challenges, influence policy and get their voices heard and respected.
An Unrivaled Team
Recognizing that public policy matters involve a complex mix of legal, legislative and regulatory considerations, often at multiple levels of government, BB&K’s Government Relations team is structured as a multi-disciplinary, bi-partisan group. We bring together legislative advocates, policy advisors, subject matter-focused attorneys and litigators who skillfully manage the interplay of laws, policies, regulations, economic circumstances and competing interests to promote and protect our clients’ position. Our model enables clients to rely on one integrated team to devise creative solutions and move their issues through Congress, federal and state agencies and the legal system. Further, it assures that we have all the bases covered.
Team members have held high-ranking positions in the White House, the U.S. Senate, the U.S. House of Representatives, at the Federal Communications Commission and at the Environmental Protection Agency, as well as in state government, industry trade and local government advocacy organizations, and in the private sector. We see both sides of issues, readily identify hurdles and overcome them. With decades of experience, longstanding relationships with government leaders and a deep knowledge across many disciplines, including politics, government, business, law and science, BB&K’s Government Relations professionals are respected and highly effective. This holds true even in heavily regulated areas such as telecommunications, water and environmental and natural resources matters generally — all areas where we have extensive experience.
BB&K’s Government Relations team synthesizes, distills and presents our clients’ positions on complex public policy issues to decision makers. We devise innovative funding techniques and help clients develop actionable goals and implement strategic legislative action plans. Additionally, we assist clients by:
- Enhancing client relationships with federal and state officials, staff and administrators
- Advising on the development of legislative positions and priorities
- Protecting clients’ interests potentially affected by changing laws, regulations and policies
- Identifying projects and programs eligible for federal or state funding, assisting in securing funds and grants and facilitating the process
- Communicating and advocating our clients’ interests to elected representatives, key committee members, agencies and other individuals, as needed, garnering their support and resolving conflicts, issues and concerns
- Monitoring and analyzing existing and proposed legislative and regulatory actions, policies, programs and initiatives throughout their development and implementation
- Advising on and representing clients at legislative, executive branch, regulatory meetings and hearings and preparing clients to testify
- Handling strategic communications with those in government, the media and the public
As a nationally recognized leader on water issues and environmental and natural resources issues generally, BB&K has worked on all of the major national environmental legislation, successfully advocated for new laws and obtained unprecedented funding for client projects.