Special districts are tasked with providing state and local water, wastewater, transportation, electric and other public services while confronting drought, climate change and other challenges under heightened regulatory scrutiny at the state level.
With one of California’s most extensive practices, Best Best & Krieger LLP provides comprehensive legal counsel services to special districts and all other types of public agencies. In fact, we have the largest full-service public agency practice in the state and a reputation as a leader in the field.
- BB&K represents all types of special districts including:
- Local agency formation commissions (LAFCOs)
- Regional councils of governments
- Water districts and agencies
- Joint powers authorities
- Multi-species habitat conservation agencies
- Sanitation, wastewater, community services districts
- Fire protection, park and recreation, hospital and resource conversation districts
- We also advise private developers and landowners, mutual (private) water companies and privately owned entities such as wind, solar and other renewable, green and sustainable energy companies.
All matters involving special district services, operations, administration and regulation are handled by our team. These range from district formation, service area overlap and consolidation issues, policy matters and regulatory concerns to employment and labor disputes; real estate acquisitions, development and disposition; public works projects; land use and construction issues.
We offer guidance on public agency governance, including the Ralph M. Brown Act (open meeting law), the Political Reform Act, Public Records Act requirements, conflicts of interest and other procedural matters. Agencies rely on us to advise on everything from the introduction and adoption of minute orders, resolutions and ordinances through the timing and structure of public hearings, presentations to the public, and elections.
Recognized as the foremost authority on water law, we are general and special counsel to dozens of water agencies throughout California, advising on allocating scarce water supplies, and acquiring, developing and maintaining surface and groundwater rights.
Our special counsel services include:
Additionally, we appear on behalf of clients before regulatory bodies and assert and defend their interests in courts at all levels.