Best Best & Krieger LLP lawyers have been among the leading advocates on telecommunications issues for more than three decades. We are especially well-known for our effective and cost-efficient representation of more than 250 public agencies throughout the U.S., including municipal and county governments, special districts, publicly owned utilities, school districts and regional public safety groups.
We guide our public clients through the ever-changing maze of federal and state regulations that affect local agencies’ authority to:
- Build and finance communications systems and provide services
- Regulate the placement of wireless and wireline facilities
- Franchise cable and other systems using the rights of way
- Obtain fair compensation for use of public property
We also represent private businesses, including smaller telecommunications companies and nonprofits, in disputes and negotiations with utilities and large telecommunications and cable service providers.
We maintain a strong presence in Washington, D.C., where our lawyers are highly respected and regularly meet with key members of the Federal Communications Commission and Congress on issues critical to our clients.
BB&K attorneys take a proactive approach by anticipating issues, advocating for clients and helping to shape policy while providing insights that allow our clients to avoid costly errors in planning and implementing major telecommunications projects.
We provide comprehensive counsel on cutting-edge issues and traditional concerns. Combining legal experience with communications business and technology knowledge, we advise on all facets of telecommunications law, regulation business and policy. Further, we regularly and successfully represent clients before federal and state legislators, regulators and commissions, and in FCC proceedings, administrative hearings and enforcement proceedings, as well as in trial and appellate courts.
Areas of Experience:
- Broadband planning and deployment
- Cable television
- Wireless communications
- Regulation and deployment of wireless and cellular networks
- Business matters
- Tower siting
- Interplay of federal and state regulations
- Franchise operations, management and renewals
- Cell site and cell tower licensing, leasing programs and agreements
- Spectrum set-asides and use
- Trademark protection
- Infrastructure development
- Fees and taxes
- Public-private partnerships
- Bankruptcy and restructurings
- Government relations
- Access and rights of way
- Public safety, emergency services and public, educational and governmental access channels
- Regulatory compliance
- Fixed, mobile and broadband wireless communications
- Environmental, permitting, zoning, and land use issues
- FCC rulemaking and policy
- Merger and acquisition reviews
- Rate-setting and taxing authority
- First Amendment and other constitutional matters
- Privacy and public records
- Transactional matters
- Establishment of communications networks and obtaining low-cost, high-speed fiber network access
- Indefeasible rights of use