Facing intense scrutiny regarding officers’ use-of-force and privacy concerns related to technology deployment, public safety agencies turn to Best Best & Krieger LLP for guidance on evolving laws, help in establishing legally compliant policies and protocols, and for zealous litigation defense.
Representing public safety agencies for decades, BB&K attorneys have extensive experience advising and defending law enforcement agencies throughout California. Our team members come from government practice, have worked directly with mayors, city councils, city managers and their staff, and served as prosecutors with the District Attorney and Attorney General offices. We possess an insider’s perspective and first-hand experience regarding the challenges our clients must address, and this enhances our ability to effectively represent their interests.
From advice on alleged constitutional violations involving detentions, arrests, searches and seizures to the use of cutting-edge technologies and new gun control legislation, BB&K’s Public Safety attorneys provide policy and training guidance, conduct impartial third-party investigations, offer opinions in sensitive or politically charged situations, and aggressively defend public safety agencies and their personnel in federal and state courts.
We regularly advise on and defend our clients regarding the following:
- Emerging police technology, including body-worn cameras, drones and license plate readers
- Public Records Act requests
- Police and municipality liability claims
- Premises liability, including dangerous condition cases
- Pitchess motions and gun confiscation hearings
- Employment-related issues, officer discipline and labor contract negotiations
- Internal affairs reviews
- Regionalization and consolidation of public safety operations
- Public integrity and ethics issues
- Code enforcement matters including inspection warrants and receiverships
- Claimed civil rights violations, including excessive force, illegal search and seizure, vehicle pursuits, K-9 deployments, privacy violations, among others
Our attorneys provide 24-7 administrative investigation/critical incident response assistance in officer-involved shootings and other critical incidents involving police officers. Additionally, we regularly advise on legal developments and work closely with our public safety agencies on risk management strategies and the use, storage, reproduction, duplication and deletion of evidence.