The continued development and viability of renewable energy projects received two major boosts in late 2015: the extension of federal renewable energy tax credits; and a favorable proposed ruling by the California Public Utilities Commission on net energy metering. However, the pressure is still on to plan and construct renewable energy projects in the next five years, as it is clear that the goal of Congress is to phase out tax credits, while public utilities continue to lobby for fees and limitations on connecting renewable energy to the grid.
Best Best & Krieger LLP assists private developers, landowners and public agencies throughout to permit and build dozens of solar PV, wind, geothermal, biogas and cogeneration facilities. These facilities range from utility-scale projects to rooftop and local self-generation and energy efficiency programs. BB&K is a leader in advocating for clients in the California legislature and at the CPUC.
With nearly 200 attorneys across eight California offices, we know the laws and the enforcement agencies that are critical to permitting renewable energy projects in each region of the state, and we possess the local connections and practical experience to efficiently and cost-effectively navigate clients through their legal and regulatory challenges.
BB&K attorneys counsel clients on all aspects of renewable energy projects, including:
- Site control, land acquisition, permitting, land use, development and construction, leasing and design-build projects
- Environmental laws, such as the federal and state endangered species acts, NEPA and CEQA compliance, among others
- Availability of water resources
- Negotiation of project contracts, including energy services contracts, power-purchase agreements and interconnection agreements with utilities
- RFP/RFQ process for public agencies
- Project finance, investment and tax structuring, rebates, tax credits and incentives
- Dispute resolution before regulatory bodies and in courts at all levels