Changes are underway at the California Public Utilities Commission, the agency that regulates electricity, natural gas and other utility services. Given the current uncertainty and already complex regulatory scheme, it is increasingly important to stay current on developments and advocate proactively before the Commission.
A Reputation for Excellence
As a leading law firm with decades of experience advising public and private sector clients on utilities regulation matters, Best Best & Krieger LLP has an established reputation for excellence and goodwill both in the industry and with the CPUC.
Combining technical knowledge and an understanding of how the various players operate, we craft cost-effective, viable solutions that address the competing interests of all involved.
BB&K lawyers regularly represent ratepayers and other stakeholders before the CPUC regarding water, solar power, natural gas, electric and telecommunications industry regulation. We provide a multitude of legal services, including:
- Counsel, advise and advocate on utility rates, services and operations
- Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity compliance
- CPUC proceedings, including rate setting, formal complaints, investigations, rulemaking and policy matters
- Coordination with CPUC’s consumer advocate divisions
- Organizing joint participation in proceedings with other stakeholders to increase the likelihood of a successful outcome while sharing costs
- Reporting on legal developments and industry trends
- Utility relocations, including undergrounding actions
- Resource planning, transmission issues, climate change matters and cost-cutting through conservation efforts
Notably, we advocate before the CPUC, litigate and deliberate policy and regulatory matters before administrative law judges, and resolve dispute through mediation, arbitration and negotiated settlement.
We stay current on regulatory developments, advising on the new energy storage rules, tax benefits and incentives.
- Intervened on behalf of city clients in rate cases, saving ratepayers millions of dollars by limiting rate increases and unnecessary capital expenditures.
- Advocated for clients to resolve right-of-way issues related to transmission and distribution projects.
- Intervened in Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity proceedings to ensure adequate environmental compliance.
- Secured millions of dollars in refunds to ratepayers by forcing audits of a water utility.
- Saved ratepayers millions by initiating and creating developer fee programs to provide capital facilities.
- Represented a coalition of water districts and the San Diego County Superintendent of Schools; successfully defeated a controversial SDG&E shut-off plan.
- Intervened on behalf of a joint power authority to obtain rate changes to protect ratepayers from excessive air-conditioning charges.